[Michlib-l] NEA Big Read Grant Awarded to Superior District Library in the Upper Peninsula

Lisa Waskin lisaw at uproc.lib.mi.us
Tue May 31 15:54:31 EDT 2016

We are very pleased to announce that.

SUPERIOR DISTRICT LIBRARY ONE OF 77 ORGANIZATIONS NATIONWIDE TO RECEIVE AN
NEA BIG READ GRANT

The Superior District Library, made up of eight libraries throughout the
Eastern Upper Peninsula, is a recipient of a grant of $9,000 to host the NEA
Big Read in our various communities. A program of the National Endowment for
the Arts, the NEA Big Read broadens our understanding of our world, our
communities, and ourselves through the joy of sharing a good book. The
Superior District Library is one of only 77 nonprofit organizations
nationwide to receive a grant to host an NEA Big Read project between
September 2016 and June 2017. The NEA Big Read will focus on The Stories and
Poems of Edgar Allan Poe. Activities will take place during September and
October of 2016.

Jane Chu, chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, said, "I have the
opportunity to travel around the country and see the way the arts can
inspire, allow for reflection, and create new experiences. I look forward to
the creative ways these 77 organizations will bring their communities
together around a great work of literature through their participation in
the NEA Big Read."

Managed by Arts Midwest, the NEA Big Read offers grants to support
innovative community reading programs designed around a single book. The
program supports organizations across the country in developing
community-wide reading programs which encourage reading and participation by
diverse audiences. Organizations selected to participate in the NEA Big Read
receive a grant, access to online training resources and opportunities, and
educational and promotional materials designed to support widespread
community involvement.

The Superior District Library will be partnering with various local
organizations, including Lake Superior State University, the Kenneth J.
Shouldice Library of LSSU, the Chippewa County Historical Society, the Upper
Peninsula Paranormal Research Society, and the Ojibwe Learning Center and
Library.  Programs will be for all age groups, across our eight communities,
and will include books talks, author visits with Frederick Stonehouse,
cemetery walks, story times and programs, presentations by the UPPRS, trivia
nights, school programs, and much more.  Times and dates will be announced
soon on the Superior District Library Facebook page, as well as our
affiliate libraries.

Our kickoff event is scheduled for Sunday, September 11th from 1:00pm-4:00pm
at the Crow's Nest in the Cisler Center on the Lake Superior State
University's campus.  The event will be a family oriented Open House,
complete with refreshments one would have seen at a typical 1830's afternoon
tea, games and activities, and perhaps even a visit from Edgar Allan Poe
himself.  The event is free and open to the public, and parking will be
available on campus.

For more information about the NEA Big Read, please visit www.neabigread.org

Lisa Waskin, Director

Superior District Library