[Michlib-l] GDL Receives NEA Big Read Grant

Eileen Button ebutton at thegdl.org
Thu May 12 12:08:59 EDT 2016

The Genesee District Library is celebrating receiving the NEA Big Read grant of $14,000 for 2016-2017, selecting Jack London's The Call of the Wild. Our kick-off event will feature Creek Stewart, survivalist expert from the Weather Channel's Fat Guy in the Woods, speaking at two branches on Saturday, September 24th. Keynote addresses include Michael Oakes, Jack London expert and impersonator from California, along with national wolf and dog experts.

We are grateful for our partnership with two local school districts (Davison Middle School and Grand Blanc West Middle School) that have committed to having their 6th and 7th grade classes read The Call of the Wild in the fall. Another partnership with the Flint Youth Theater means that over 800 students will engage with the text through reading, hearing and experiencing a theatrical interpretation of the classic.

So, yes ... we're celebrating on this lovely Thursday in May. And learning how to howl like a "dog gone wild."

ARH-WOOOO!

Eileen Button

Genesee District Library

Community Relations Manager

(810) 230-9613

"But especially he loved to run in the dim twilight of the summer midnights, listening to the subdued and sleepy murmurs of the forest, reading signs and sounds as a man may read a book, and seeking for the mysterious something that called -- called, waking or sleeping, at all times, for him to come."

~ Jack London, The Call of the Wild