[Michlib-l] Genesee District Library Receives Big Read Grant.

David Conklin dconklin at thegdl.org
Thu May 12 16:37:22 EDT 2016

I'm pleased to announce that the Genesee District Library is been awarded a NEA Big Read grant of $14,000 for 2016-2017, selecting Jack London’s The Call of the Wild.  Our kick-off events will feature Creek Stewart, survivalist expert from the Weather Channel’s Fat Guy in the Woods, speaking at two branches on Saturday, September 24th<x-apple-data-detectors://37>.<x-apple-data-detectors://37>  Other programming will include Michael Oakes, a Jack London expert and impersonator, along with various national wolf and dog experts.

We are grateful for our partnerships with the Davison Middle School and Grand Blanc West Middle School which have committed to having their 6th and 7thgrade classes read The Call of the Wild in the fall.  In addition, our partnership with the Flint Youth Theater means that over 800 students will engage with the classic through reading, listening to and experiencing a theatrical interpretation of the classic.

David Conklin
Director
Genesee District Library
(810) 230-3335<tel:(810)%20230-3335> Office
(810) 732-1161<tel:(810)%20732-1161> Fax
dconklin at thegdl.org<mailto:dconklin at thegdl.org>

Genesee District Library Headquarters
G-4195 W. Pasadena Avenue
Flint, MI 48504