[Michlib-l] Unattended Children Policies

Marsh, Nyama N.Marsh at wfblibrary.org
Thu Mar 31 12:42:18 EDT 2016

We are in a very walkable, low-crime community, so we have many children who walk to the library alone. We settled on 9+ as the age when they can be unattended, and 12+ to be the "assigned chaperone" for children under 9.

Here is our current Unattended Children policy.
~Responsibility for the welfare and the behavior of children using the library rests with the parent/guardian or an assigned chaperone. Though staff will always respond with care and concern, they cannot assume responsibility for children's safety and comfort when they are unattended. Staff may need to contact authorities such as the Police either to assist with the enforcement of discipline in the library or to ensure the safety of an unattended child.

Young children should be attended and adequately supervised by a parent, guardian, or caregiver who is a responsible person of at least twelve years of age. Older children may use the library unattended provided they are able to maintain proper library behavior.

And from our Library Rules of Conduct policy.
~YOUNG CHILDREN IN THE LIBRARY
Parents or guardians are at all times responsible for the supervision of their children. Children 8 years or younger should be attended and adequately supervised by a parent, guardian, or caregiver who is a responsible person of at least twelve years of age. This is to prevent accidental injury, avoid disturbance to other Library patrons and prevent any damage to Library property.

Per the Unattended Child Policy: "Staff may need to contact authorities such as the Police either to assist with the enforcement of discipline in the library or to ensure the safety of an unattended child."

Children, 9 years of age or older, may use the Library unattended provided they are able to maintain proper Library behavior.

Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Marsh
Library Director
n.marsh at wfblibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)
"There are many ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." ~Jacqueline Kennedy
"Leaders don't force people to follow - they invite them on a journey." ~ Charles Lauer