[Michlib-l] MLA Academic Libraries 2016 - Registration is open

Taylor, Laura taylorla at macomb.edu
Mon Mar 28 15:44:23 EDT 2016

MLA Academic Libraries 2016 is a day-long event that will focus on library service in the context of higher education.
 Join us on May 20, 2016  in Lansing to hear speakers, view posters, and participate in discussions that will help you become an advocate for excellent customer service at your library.

Here is just a sample of the day's offerings:

Everything is a Service: New Perspectives on Assessing the Library Using Service Design
Academic librarians are not new to designing or assessing services, but we tend to develop these services in isolation from other services we offer. We need to see the whole library as an integrated and tightly coupled system. Enter service design. Service design is a holistic, co-creative methodology that puts the user at the center of the service delivery model. Service design offers a framework and mindset to assess and contextualize services so we can see the whole picture. When viewed this way, the library's interconnections are made tangible and we, as service providers, can see the library as a unified experience as our users do. The end result is better service for our users.
Joe Marquez, Reed College Library

Emotions in the Library Workplace
Academic librarians, like other service professionals, are expected to display certain emotions as part of their basic job responsibilities: smiling through a difficult interaction with a faculty member; calming a panicked undergraduate student; feigning enthusiasm for a bad idea that comes from higher administration. This presentation explores the emotion process as it occurs in the workplace, summarizes the core constructs of emotional labor (EL), and suggests practices librarians can use to effectively manage emotional regulation for effective service.
Miriam Matteson, PhD, Kent State University

For more information about the program schedule and registration, visit   http://www.milibraries.org/events/academic-libraries-2016/

Laura Taylor
Library Manager
Macomb Community College