[Michlib-l] Wireless Printer

Eric Hayes ehayes at orionlibrary.org
Tue Mar 22 13:53:51 EDT 2016

Pamela,

The best way to share a printer (any printer) is with Google Cloud Print<https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/>. Any other way would be a nightmare as software drivers would need to be installed on each PC (or mobile device) that wishes to print to it. Some wireless printers come with the GCP feature built-in, but all printers can be used when you connect it to a PC via USB and configure GCP using the PC. You can't limit usage too much, so it may get abused. The only thing that you can limit is the amount of printed pages per day per user. You can only accept payments for prints the old fashioned way... with library staff. If the printer is at a public desk (reference or checkout,) staff could collect payment when the patron comes to pick up the prints.

There are some commercial (paid) solutions, but I'd test GCP in-house to see if it works for you.

*         PrinterOn<http://www.printeron.com/industries/education/higher-education.html>

*         SAM Wireless Printing<http://www.comprisetechnologies.com/?page_id=38>

Eric Hayes
Network & Systems Administrator