[Michlib-l] 3M RFID Pads

Tim Perry tperry at ypsilibrary.org
Tue Jun 28 16:03:16 EDT 2016

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure if this applies to your specific setup, but we encountered some of the issues you mentioned when we switched over to our ITG / Bibliotheca RFID readers and, more specifically, our 3M RFID tags with security bits built into the tag. The new RFID tags now have a security data bit that lives on the actual tag, which is turned ON or OFF by the RFID scanner pad a the circ desk. On checkout, the tagged item is placed on the scanner, the item is checked out, and then the pad writes the data to the tag - changing the bit to a 0 or "Security OFF". (bits are set to 1 or "Security ON" upon check-in). This data write takes about 1 full second per tag. During the 1 second that this process takes, the tag inside the item absolutely must stay within the antenna range of the pad, or else the security bit does not get written successfully. If the security bit is not changed from 1 to 0, it will set off the security gates.

Our staff had become so used to using the old checkpoint style pads, that their muscle memory kept the items moving in a swiping motion, instead of the required: place on pad, do not move item for 1-2 seconds, then move items away. One thing that helped them adjust to the new technique was having them place the item (or small stack of items) on the pad, and then take both hands completely off the items before picking them back up again. This was usually enough time to complete the data write. The ITG/Bibliotheca  software also had an audible error that would sound if it detected a 'no write' condition - so we enabled the PC speakers on our circ desk computers as well.

Stacks of items are slightly more tricky, and so some extra care must be taken if checking in/out stacks of items at once. We seem do well with a max of 4 or 5 items at one time. The pad can detect all the items barcodes, check them out, and then write all of the data bits individually - but if 1 of the items is moved out of the antenna field, with other tags still inside the field, it may not detect a data write failure. Circ staff who fanned out the items too much, and/or kept the items moving in a swiping motion, would often run into this problem. Stacks inherently take longer to complete, about 1 second per item in the stack.

Not swiping items across the tag pad reader is a hard habit to 'unlearn', especially since it feels like it slows down the checkout process, even if for just 1 single second.

Hope that is helpful,

Tim Perry
Computer Technician
Ypsilanti District Library