[Michlib-l] NEA Big Read Grant Awarded to Hartland's Cromaine Library

Stefanie Furge sfurge at cromaine.org
Thu Jun 2 13:25:12 EDT 2016

We are pleased to announce:

*HARTLAND’S CROMAINE LIBRARY ONE OF 77 ORGANIZATIONS NATIONWIDE*

*TO RECEIVE AN NEA BIG READ GRANT*

*Cromaine Library to Read and Celebrate Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich*

*During the NEA Big Read*

June 2, 2016—Hartland, MI—Hartland’s Cromaine Library  is a recipient of a
grant of $5,000 to host the NEA Big Read in Hartland. A program of the
National Endowment for the Arts, the NEA Big Read broadens our
understanding of our world, our communities, and ourselves through the joy
of sharing a good book. Hartland’s Cromaine Library is one of 77 nonprofit
organizations to receive a grant to host an NEA Big Read project between
September 2016 and June 2017. The NEA Big Read in Hartland will focus on
Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich. Activities will take place in November
2016.

According to Ceci Marlow, Cromaine’s library director, “Big Read is an
exceptional opportunity for our community to explore and be enriched by
cultural experiences often absent from busy, daily lives. This is
especially true of "Love Medicine" by Louise Erdrich. Native American
cultural events, foods, music, and artifacts will bring the pages to life.
We are excited and grateful to our supporting partners!”

Managed by Arts Midwest, the NEA Big Read offers grants to support
innovative community reading programs designed around a single book. The
program supports organizations across the country in developing
community-wide reading programs which encourage reading and participation
by diverse audiences. Organizations selected to participate in the NEA Big
Read receive a grant, access to online training resources and
opportunities, and educational and promotional materials designed to
support widespread community involvement.

Our kickoff event is scheduled for Saturday, November 5, 2016 from 10 am
until 1 pm.  We are pleased to have Reg Pettibone and his wife Marca bring
their Authentic Native American Program complete with artifacts, a tipi,
and music and dance to start the day, followed by food samples, games,
crafts and more for this family-friendly event!

Ceci Marlow, Director

Cromaine District Library

3688 N. Hartland Road

Hartland, MI 48353