[Michlib-l] Residency policy

Mutch, Andrew AMutch at waterfordmi.gov
Thu Jul 21 11:45:13 EDT 2016

Since 2000, it has been illegal to impose those kinds of residency requirements on municipal employees as outlined here:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-15-602

There are some exceptions (elected officials, volunteer firefighters, etc.) but those would not apply to library employees. You can require that employees live within a set distance of the community boundaries but again as outlined in the state law, that can be no less than 20 miles.

Andrew

[As always, my two cents and not those of my employer!]

[http://intranet/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/wat-logo.jpg]

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township