[Michlib-l] StoryWalk Question

Shutta Crum shutta at shuttacrum.com
Sat Feb 27 12:06:16 EST 2016

​Hi, Ann--

The Dawes Arboretum in Ohio has been doing this for several years. They do
a wonderful job! (I was one of their authors. They used "Bravest of the
Brave" one year for their summer book walk.)

They have permanent signposts with removable flat panels for the
books--tilted at an angle. Then every year they print a book's pages on
waterproof materials and post the book along the reading trail. (Which is
also wheelchair accessible.) They do a kick-off literacy day party with the
arboretum's gift shop supplying and selling the author's books. They invite
the author to speak, and put him/her up for the night. They make a big deal
of it and often have a great turn out.

On the day I was to speak/read at the kick-off party, it rained.
Nevertheless, we still had a great crowd with umbrellas. I loved watching
the kids run from page to page along the trail. The folks at the Dawes also
had a signer there for several speech-impaired children who were attending.

If you can talk the park into making it a permanent exhibit, that would be
great. Kids would look forward to what new book was in the park. Making the
storywalk more of an integral part of a park visit will make a bigger
impression on young readers/park visitors.

If you want any pics, let me know. I have a few from the Dawes I can send.

Best of luck!
Shutta

*Shutta Crum*
*www.shutta.com <http://www.shutta.com/>*

*UH-OH! (Alfred A. Knopf)*
*DOZENS OF COUSINS (Clarion, HMH)*
*MINE! (Alfred A. Knopf)*
*THOMAS AND THE DRAGON QUEEN (Alfred A. Knopf)*
*32 Reviewers on How to Choose a Good Book
<http://blog.shutta.com/2014/10/howtochooseagoodbook/>  (Babies & Books!)*