[Michlib-l] Allied Media Conference Radical Librarianship Track Call for Proposals

Benjamin Miller BMiller at ypsilibrary.org
Sat Feb 13 17:41:06 EST 2016

Hello fellow librarians!

This year, I, along with Katie Dover-Taylor (William P Faust Public Library of Westland), Andrea Perez (William P Faust Public Library of Westland), Heidy Berthoud (Vassar College), and Celeste Â-Re (University of South Carolina) are coordinating the Radical Librarianship Track as part of the 18th annual Allied Media Conference, taking place June 16-19th, 2016, and we are putting out a call for proposals. The deadline to submit is March 11th @ midnight ET

In case you are unfamiliar with the conference, this is a great video about the Allied Media Conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLRGNfsyQ1DegkpB37gYNaspJHtPh3t0um&v=orOxQ0d7eOU

Last year we featured, among others, sessions about starting a seed library, starting your own maker space with just a bit of money, how to help those most in need, creating safer spaces through zine libraries, starting community based archives, and a presentation from the Free Black Woman's Library

The Radical Librarianship track seeks collaborators to shape our discussions at the 2016 Allied Media Conference (AMC) on June 16-19, 2016 in Detroit, Michigan. Libraries and archives are more than places for collecting and storing books and artifacts. Libraries can be living, transformative spaces where artists, educators, technologists, and organizers convene to access, document, share, organize, and find solutions to issues that impact their communities.

We welcome proposals for sessions that will be accessible to participants of all ages and backgrounds, and interpret the work of libraries and archives through the lens of media-based organizing.

We are especially interested in sessions that:
Challenge traditional library and archive structures, institutions, and organizations.
Discuss best practices for community-based organizations that provide books, technology or internet access, creative materials, or collaborative opportunities centering people of color, queer and gender non-conforming folks, disabled people, incarcerated people, and undocumented people.
Consider the role of librarians and archivists in strengthening the knowledge, culture, and collective memory of communities impacted by chronic divestment and gentrification.
Address racism, white supremacy or issues of diversity and inclusion in libraries, archives, or museums.
Discuss mental health and self-care for workers in libraries, archives, or museums.
Build on discussions or lessons from the Radical Librarianship track at AMC2015 or previous Allied Media Conferences.

Beyond the themes outlined above, if the idea of Radical Librarianship resonates with you, we'd love to hear from you.

The deadline to submit is March 11th @ midnight ET. If you are interested in proposing a session, please follow this link.
https://www.alliedmedia.org/news/propose-session-amc2016

For questions about the Radical Librarianship track, or to discuss session ideas with our coordinating team, please contact Katie Dover-Taylor at dovertaylor at gmail.com<mailto:dovertaylor at gmail.com>

Benjamin Miller
Reference Librarian
Ypsilanti District Library
229 W Michigan Ave