[Michlib-l] [Everyone] National Park Service Withdraws From Michigan Activity Pass Program

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 29 10:24:26 EDT 2016

All,

We have gotten a number of questions from library staff and patrons regarding the withdrawal of the seven National Park Service sites from the Michigan Activity Pass program. In light of this I thought I would offer a bit of background information.

The NPS has since September 1, 2015 operated a program called Every Kid In a Park https://www.everykidinapark.gov/ The goal of the program, in conjunction with the 100 year NPS anniversary this year, is to provide an opportunity for each and every 4th grade student across the country to experience their federal public lands and waters in person throughout the 2015-2016 school year. Officially the EKIP program ends August 31, 2016. Unofficially we have heard that the EKIP program will be renewed for an additional year and perhaps, multiple years beyond. We have no official word regarding an extension of the EKIP program beyond the current expiration ate of August 31, 2016.

The EKIP program's sole focus is 4th grade students. The student is asked to follow the directions at https://www.everykidinapark.gov/ to create and print their EKIP pass. Of course this means that a parent is going to be involved, too for purposes of transportation to the venue, etc. But outreach to 4th grade students is the specific goal here.

The MAP program's focus is more broad. A valid library card is the key to taking advantage of all MAP has to offer.

The seven NPS sites in Michigan joined MAP on May 24, 2016. The difficulty involved trying to meld together two programs with different target audiences and goals. Library patrons of all ages have become accustomed to reserving and printing a MAP pass and receiving in exchange whatever benefit is spelled out by the venue on the printed MAP pass. The NPS requires that MAP patrons comply with the 4th grade focus of the program, and in addition to the printed MAP pass, that they also print and present the EKIP pass at its venues. These two requirements combined to create confusion and difficulty for NPS staff, library staff, and TLN staff too, as we get many of the questions from MAP patrons via our michiganactivitypass at gmail.com account. We, NPS and TLN that is, worked together throughout the summer in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration to come up with language for the MAP passes for the NPS sites that would facilitate the focus and goals of the NPS EKIP program within the MAP program. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts we were unable to reach that sweet spot that met the needs of both programs.

We encourage you to feature the EKIP program link https://www.everykidinapark.gov/ on your library websites, and we would like to thank the National Park Service for their partnership with Michigan's public libraries via the Michigan Activity Pass program during the NPS centennial of Summer, 2016.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding this.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager