[Michlib-l] New Overtime Rule

Stephanie knownformylaugh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:46:04 EDT 2016

Greetings Gayle, et al. --

MLA had a very helpful webinar a few weeks ago.  Thank you to Kristy Doak
for organizing that!  You can find some of the slides from the webinar at
the bottom of this page:
http://www.milibraries.org/events/new-flsa-overtime-rule-webinar-what-does-this-mean-for-your-library/

During the webinar we found out that libraries are exempt from some of the
requirements.  We were relieved to learn, in particular, that we don't have
to increase salaries for full-timers up to the $47,500+ (don't have the
actual salary amount at my fingertips at the moment)... they maintain their
benefits.. but they become hourly.  We just have to make sure that when
they do go over 40 hours that the extra time is entered as time and a
half.  Also learned there is a cap on the amount of comp time earned... but
it's in the 200+ hour range, so not a nail-biter for us.

I did send some follow up questions after the webinar related to:

   -  a) if a holiday falls on a day when a staff member is *not* regularly
   scheduled to work they currently earn comp time for that holiday so that
   they can take another day off at some other time -- the question is, do we
   have to enter that as time and a half since they already worked a 40 hour
   work week.  We think the answer would be no... they would just earn
   straight comp time for that holiday (8 hours, not 12), but we wanted to
   confirm that.
   -  b) at times our staff swap Saturdays.  Currently (because otherwise
   it is a scheduling mess) they only swap their Saturdays..... so the rest of
   the work week, including the day they would normally have off for working
   the Saturday remain intact.  What that means is that one week they might
   work 32 hours while another week they work 48.  The question we posed is,
   do we have to swap around their "off days" into the week where they swapped
   their Saturday?  Again, it seems counter intuitive to us that we would have
   to do all that swapping around when it is the staff member who is the one
   initiating the schedule change, not administration (and again, it can
   become a scheduling mess to have to move multiple days around like that)

Still waiting to hear answers on those questions.  We also have been
referring to this document for clarification as well:
https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/final2016/webinarfaq_np.htm

I'll be interested to see other responses you receive to your inquiry.

Thank you,

Stephanie Masin

Director -- Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library

500 Market Street

St. Joseph, MI  49085

269-983-7167