[Michlib-l] Movie Licensing

Paul McCann pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us
Wed Aug 24 16:49:13 EDT 2016

Hi Joann,

Dexter subscribes to both.

Movie Licensing USA has Disney, Pixar and most of the other major studios.

MPLC has Fox Searchlight, 20th Century Fox and Dreamworks.

Having both alleviates much of the concern as to whether something is
covered.  I wish both would lighten up on the advertising restrictions.
If I had to choose one, I would stay with Movie Licensing USA because
the draw for children's movies is significantly greater than movies for
adults.  The Disney/Pixar films can draw 150-250 parents and children
for a single showing here.

Our combined licensing cost is around $500 and we generally show about
36 movies a year with over 2,250 total attendance, so that comes out to
about $14 per program or 22¢ per person for each program.  Well worth
the investment for both licenses.

Hope this helps!
Paul

Paul McCann				Dexter District Library