[Michlib-l] Policy/procedure question

David Conklin dconklin at thegdl.org
Sat Aug 20 09:41:30 EDT 2016

Nannette,

We do not have a policy or procedure for this.  In my opinion, you shouldn't have one for a Board Member receiving a complaint.  However, what is important is what happens after the Board Member receives a complaint.

Ideally, the Board Member would contact you directly and speak regarding the complaint.  This is an opportunity for you to become aware of the complaint and provide your details surrounding the incident or lack thereof.

If the Board member decides to bring it up during a meeting you should have by-laws regarding how that is handled (agenda item etc.).  You may also have the option of requesting it be discussed in closed/executive session as it pertains to your work performance.

The member may choose neither and bring it up at your next annual review.  This is not ideal as you will not necessarily know about it and won't be able to address it in a timely fashion.

Bottom line, I encourage all my Board members to contact me anytime with any questions or concerns that they may have.

Good luck,
Dave

David Conklin
Director
Genesee District Library
(810) 230-3335<tel:(810)%20230-3335> Office
(810) 732-1161<tel:(810)%20732-1161> Fax
dconklin at thegdl.org<mailto:dconklin at thegdl.org>

Genesee District Library Headquarters
G-4195 W. Pasadena Avenue
Flint, MI 48504