[Michlib-l] adding electrical power to a library

Philip Proefrock architect at cornellbox.com
Wed Apr 27 15:51:34 EDT 2016

In order to be accessible for people with a broad range of ability
limitations, overhead power cords would have to be at about light switch
height, which would be unsightly, impractical, and probably hazardous.

Power poles by themselves are not terribly attractive, but if you could
create a design feature to enclose the power run, that might be more
aesthetically acceptable.  Then, if your flooring would accommodate some
slight cutting and patching, you might identify a central location where
you could bring power from overhead and then do some limited
distribution from that point to other desks.

Reconfiguration of the space might be a way to extend power along the
backs or undersides of furniture and storage units, but that may put
unwanted barriers in the layout of the space.

This is the kind of creative problem solving that an architect could be
helpful with, even if it is a minor project like this.  But a specific
solution would depend on the particular conditions of your space, and
your needs and schedule and budget.

Regards,

Philip Proefrock, AIA