[Michlib-l] People Counters

Marsh, Nyama N.Marsh at wfblibrary.org
Wed Apr 27 12:21:40 EDT 2016

Hello Brandon,

I looked into people counters last year. We currently use a SenSource Wireless counter that utilizes a break-beam to count, which is not highly accurate. (http://www.sensourceinc.com/PC-TB12N.htm)

When I researched counters in 2015 I found that overhead thermal counters are considered more accurate. They require a hard-wire connection and are more expensive. (http://www.trafsys.com/people-counting/). The quote I received from Sensource for Thermal Imaging Sensors were $1800 for 1, $3200 for 2, or $6300 for 4. I am hoping to upgrade in the next year or two. For now we are still using the break-beam counter.

Fyi, I received emails from people who  use raspberry pis, hand hold counters, and hash marks on paper. So there is quite a variety in technology, price and accuracy.

Interesting but probably not highly accurate
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-People-Counter-with-Raspberry-Pi-an/

Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Marsh