[Michlib-l] Publisher partners with libraries for Money Smart Week promotion

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Sat Apr 9 12:54:53 EDT 2016

Money Smart Week is April 23-30. Below you can find information on additional low cost resources your library may take advantage of to help support learning in your community.

Also, take a look at other resources available at no cost on the website, www.moneysmartweek.org/resources<http://www.moneysmartweek.org/resources>

Shannon

Libraries celebrating Money Smart Week, April 23 - 30, will have the opportunity to take advantage of an offer from publisher HarperCollins to receive special pricing for simultaneous access to seven finance-related eBook titles.

>From April 15 through May 15, participating libraries can obtain, at the price of $100, unlimited access to the following titles: "Real Money Answers for Every Woman," by Patrice C. Washington; "The New Totally Awesome Money Book for Kids," by Arthur Bochner and Rose Bochner; "The Wall Street Journal Guide to the New Rules of Personal Finance," by Dave Kansas; "The Aspirational Investor," by Ashvin B. Chhabra; "The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money," by Ron Lieber; "The Intelligent Investor," by Benjamin Graham"; and "The Truth About Money," by Ric Edelman.

Libraries should contact their vendors for further information.

Created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in 2002, Money Smart Week(r)  is a public awareness campaign designed to help consumers better manage their personal finances. The American Library Association (ALA) is among several partnering organizations. Participating libraries provide programming for all ages and all stages of life on topics such as: basic budgeting; managing student debt; retirement planning; home purchasing; saving money through couponing; and how to prevent identity theft.

"The ALA is excited that HarperCollins is providing this opportunity for libraries to circulate information and resources to help Americans realize their financial goals," said ALA President Sari Feldman. "Financial literacy skills are absolutely crucial in our society, regardless of age or financial status."

"We also applaud HarperCollins for recognizing that libraries are dynamic centers of learning in the digital age," said Feldman, who led an ALA delegation in meetings with Big 5 publishing executives in December to discuss expanding the options for library ebook lending business models to give libraries more choice - one idea that emerged was the possibility of special pr motions tied to specific subject matter. "This is an important step in the development of the relationship between libraries and publishers, a relationship that will have long-lasting implications for reading and literacy."

Carolyn Anthony, co-chair of the ALA's Digital Content Working Group (DCWG)  and a member of the delegation that met in December, said of the promotion , "This is a positive development and a clear indication that the relationship between ALA and publishers is moving in the right direction. We welcome  experimentation with terms and pricing that will help libraries develop breadth in their digital collections."

For more information regarding Money Smart Week events and financial tips visit http://www.moneysmartweek.org/resources.

Don Wood

Program Officer

Chapter Relations Office