[Michlib-l] Results of exercise at your library

Perri Saunders perri at monroe.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 22 10:41:37 EDT 2015

Thanks for all of your responses!  I'm not sure how our programming will evolve, but your answers will help move us forward.

See below for string of responses.

Perri Saunders, Director
White Pigeon Township Library
102 N. Kalamazoo St., P.O. Box 399
White Pigeon, MI   49099
Phone  269.483.7409
Fax  269.483.9923
perri at monroe.lib.mi.us<mailto:perri at monroe.lib.mi.us>

Brighten the corner where you are.

exercise classes @ your library
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Perri Saunders
Do you offer ongoing exercise opportunities at your library? If yes, what is the payment structure? Do you pay the presenter and offer the classes for free? Is there a charge to the patrons who attend? Do they pay the presenter directly, or pay the library?
Mon 9/14
[X][X]
Perri Saunders
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
michlib-l ‎[michlib-l at mcls.org]‎
Sent Items
Monday, September 14, 2015 11:39 AM
[X]             [X]     [X]
Do you offer ongoing exercise opportunities at your library?

If yes, what is the payment structure?  Do you pay the presenter and offer the classes for free?  Is there a charge to the patrons who attend?  Do they pay the presenter directly, or pay the library?

Do you have waivers for patrons to sign?  Could you share?

Thanks for any information/advice you can give.

Have a fantastic Monday!

Perri Saunders, Director
White Pigeon Township Library
102 N. Kalamazoo St., P.O. Box 399
White Pigeon, MI   49099
Phone  269.483.7409
Fax  269.483.9923
perri at monroe.lib.mi.us<mailto:perri at monroe.lib.mi.us>

Brighten the corner where you are.
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Kat Boyer
We don't offer these at the library but I would be interested in any information that you receive. -Kat Boyer Kat Boyer Interim Director Benton Harbor Public Library
Mon 9/14
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
ConnieJo Ozinga
We have on occasion paid a local yoga instructor $35.00 to do a YA program. Connie
Mon 9/14
[X][X]
ConnieJo Ozinga [cjozinga at commercelibrary.info]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Monday, September 14, 2015 11:55 AM
[X]             [X]     [X]
We have on occasion paid a local yoga instructor $35.00 to do a YA program.  Connie
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Patricia Braden
Perri, We looked into offering exercise classes but were not able to have them because our meeting room is carpeted. It's apparently a safety issue. Patty Patty Braden Library Director Romulus Public Library 11121 Wayne Road Romulus, MI 48174 (734) 942-7589
Mon 9/14
[X][X]
Patricia Braden [pbraden at tln.lib.mi.us]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Monday, September 14, 2015 12:41 PM
[X]             [X]     [X]
Perri,

We looked into offering exercise classes but were not able to have them because our meeting room is carpeted. It's apparently a safety issue.

Patty

Patty Braden
Library Director
Romulus Public Library<http://www.romulus.lib.mi.us/>
11121 Wayne Road
Romulus, MI 48174
(734) 942-7589
www.romulus.lib.mi.us<http://www.romulus.lib.mi.us>

Serving Romulus and Huron Township

<http://www.romulus.lib.mi.us>[X]
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Christina Golm
Hi Perri, We are looking to do something. Could you give me the feedback that you receive on this question? Thanks, Christina Christina Golm, M.L.I.S. Library Director Newaygo Area District Library 231-652-6723 newaygolibrary at gmail.com http://newaygo.llcoop.org/
Mon 9/14
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Eileen Button
We offer yoga at two branches. We pay the certified instructor $35/class and offer the program for free to our patrons up to a 30-person limit. Our insurance covers our liabilities so we don’t have them sign a waiver. Our patrons absolutely LOVE the classes,
Mon 9/14
[X][X]
Eileen Button [ebutton at thegdl.org]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:41 PM
[X]             [X]     [X]
We offer yoga at two branches. We pay the certified instructor $35/class and offer the program for free to our patrons up to a 30-person limit. Our insurance covers our liabilities so we don’t have them sign a waiver. Our patrons absolutely LOVE the classes, and we’re thinking of other low-impact classes we can offer. (Our floors are carpet-covered concrete, so we can’t offer anything too high-impact.)

Here are the classes scheduled for fall: http://www.thegdl.org/exercise.

Definitely worth it!
Eileen Button
GDL Community Relations Manager
4195 W. Pasadena Ave.
(810) 230-9613
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Melissa Huisman
Yes, we do. The way it happened is this: We paid or got an instructor to come in one time and do a demo class for us – free for the patrons. If there was a lot of interest, I asked the instructor if they wanted to hold regular classes at the library. They take
Mon 9/14
[X][X]
Melissa Huisman [hudmh at llcoop.org]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:50 PM
[X]             [X]     [X]
Yes, we do.  The way it happened is this:  We paid or got an instructor to come in one time and do a demo class for us – free for the patrons.  If there was a lot of interest, I asked the instructor if they wanted to hold regular classes at the library.  They take care of all registration details and payments and flyers, etc.  We just have the room ready for them.  In return, I ask that they donate back to the library the cost of one participant’s class fee each class.  So, if the yoga class meets for ten weeks and it is $5 each time – they pay me $50.  This is supposed to help pay for electricity, water, cleaning, etc.  They must also, once a year, offer one free class session for the public – it helps us and helps them by giving folks a chance to try it out for free.  They take care of health waivers, etc.

In this way we can say it is a “library sponsored” program and that is why they are entitled to use our room.  Otherwise, we don’t rent it out to anyone – we use it too much ourselves.

We offer three classes of yoga/pilates per week (1 morning, 2 evening)  (1 beginning, 1 continuing, and 1 mixed.)  register in advance $5 each time if you register for whole 12-16 week session, otherwise $7 drop in.
We offer two Zumba gold classes on Monday and Thursday evenings.  $3/session drop in.
We’re just starting Tai Chi with a local hospital community outreach program.  $5/session for 10 weeks.

All instructors are certified.

Any other questions, let me know.  We love it!
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Shauna Swantek
Please share results. Thanks. Shauna Lea Swantek, Director Putnam District Library Honoring the Past, Serving Today, Preparing For Tomorrow www.putnamlib.org 327 North Main Street PO Box 920 Nashville, MI 49073-9578 Phone & Fax: (517)852-9723
Mon 9/14
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Myla Stuart
I'd look forward to seeing the responses as well. Good question.
Mon 9/14
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Dave Ewick
Here in Southfield, we leave the exercise classes to the Parks & Recreation Dept. Since we are a City department, we don't want to step on someone else's turf. ;-) Best, Dave David L. Ewick City Librarian Southfield Public Library 26300 Evergreen Southfield,
Tue 9/15
[X][X]
Dave Ewick [dewick at southfieldlibrary.org]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:49 AM
[X]             [X]     [X]
Here in Southfield, we leave the exercise classes to the Parks & Recreation Dept.  Since we are a City department, we don't want to step on someone else's turf.  ;-)
Best,
Dave

David L. Ewick
City Librarian
Southfield Public Library
26300 Evergreen
Southfield, Michigan 48076
248 796-4300
dewick at southfieldlibrary.org<mailto:dewick at southfieldlibrary.org>
>>> Perri Saunders <perri at monroe.lib.mi.us> 9/14/2015 11:39 AM >>>
[X][https://email.monroe.lib.mi.us/owa/14.3.210.2/themes/wrld/pgrs-sm.gif]
[X][X]
Ryan Deery
Perri, My name is Ryan Deery and I am emailing from the Suttons Bay Bingham District Library up on the Leelanau Peninsula. We are a small Class II library with very little budget for programming but we have a large senior population that lives in the area and
Tue 9/15
[X][X]
Ryan Deery [librarian at suttonsbaylibrary.org]
[X][X][X]
Actions[X]
To:
Perri Saunders

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:52 AM
[X]             [X]     [X]
[X]
You replied on 9/15/2015 11:00 AM.
Perri,

My name is Ryan Deery and I am emailing from the Suttons Bay Bingham District Library up on the Leelanau Peninsula. We are a small Class II library with very little budget for programming but we have a large senior population that lives in the area and uses the library so I spent some time asking around the community to see if anyone would be interested in offering Yoga or Pilates or a very basic exercise class aimed at beginners/retirees at the library.

I was specifically looking for another retired individual that did not need income from the classes as I feel very strongly about not charging patrons for any programs held at the library and also because I knew we could not afford to pay the instructor much. As it turns out, I came upon a fairly well to do retiree that had participated in a Yoga instructor workshop, was a regular practitioner and focused specifically on gentle Yoga. She offered to do twice a week Yoga classes at the library free of charge for 10 weeks each fall (last year and again this year). These have been well attended with anywhere from 18-24 people at each class which is the max our meeting room can hold.

It has also worked out for the instructor in that a few attendees then requested private, paid for Yoga instruction in their own homes leading to a little revenue. The down side of offering a free class, at least free for the library I mean, is that there is a little less accountability on the case of the instructor. For instance, just today, the instructor informed me that she will miss next week’s class and while such things happen with paid help as well, I do feel that payment does lead to someone putting a little more thought into showing up or not.

We also do not have waivers, we thought about this but an informal legal adviser didn’t think it was worth it. The instructor is also very clear about only doing what you can do and not pushing it.

Hope that helps,
Ryan Deery
Suttons Bay Bingham District Library
librarian at suttonsbaylibrary.org<mailto:librarian at suttonsbaylibrary.org>