[Michlib-l] Hunting Knives in the Library

Koscielniak, Kimberly (MDE) KoscielniakK at michigan.gov
Fri Oct 23 13:21:27 EDT 2015

The Michigan State Police website includes frequently asked questions on firearms and other weapons at http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html.  The FAQs are not meant to be legal advice, but it’s a good place to start a discussion either with your library’s attorney or local law enforcement.  Here are some excerpts:

3.  I recently purchased a double-edged survival knife. Does Michigan law allow me to carry this in my vehicle?

MCL 750.227 <http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227>    No. A dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in their own home, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

4.  Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?

MCL 750.226 <http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-226>   No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.
The element of intent in MCL 750.226 seems like it would make it difficult to prohibit someone carrying a knife on his belt from being in the library.  Again, your local police may see this differently, so it would be best to discuss the matter with them.

Kim Koscielniak

State Law Library
Library of Michigan
Michigan Library and Historical Center