[Michlib-l] PUBLIB Digest - 15 Oct 2015 to 16 Oct 2015 (#2015-327)

Marsh, Nyama N.Marsh at wfblibrary.org
Fri Oct 16 12:04:40 EDT 2015

Hello Elizabeth.

I recently have been looking at people counters since we are having trouble with ours. Turns out we just need new batteries. :-)

In the process of looking I received many positive recommendations for Sensource, which we currently use. Our counter is wireless and uses a break-beam to count. After my research, I am now considering an overhead thermal counter. A couple libraries let me know they purchased those in the last year and love them. They are much more accurate - but also more expensive to purchase. If you are a small library, cost may be a driving force. Do you want high accuracy for $2000 (per counter) or moderate accuracy for under $1000.

Our break-beam system was purchased in 2011 for $750. It seems the batteries need replacing every 6 months to the tune of $50 for 4 batteries (they are special). The break beam does not need to be hard wired to the Ethernet so you can place it anywhere, rather it is wireless and requires batteries for power.

If you get a thermal overhead one, then it has to be hardwired to Ethernet, which provides the electricity so there is no need for batteries.

One library said this purchased this basic counter in the last year. http://www.peoplecounters.us/People-Counter.aspx# ($250!)

A couple libraries recently used Sensource for overhead thermal counters, and those seem to run about $2000 per counter. Also, the Sensource ones have software that enables you to run reports for counts up to every 5 minutes to determine busy and slow periods. I plan to track every 30 minutes. http://www.sensourceinc.com/intelligent-imaging-people-counters.htm

If you are adventurous, you can make a people counter out of a Raspberry Pi for under $100! Not sure how accurate it is...
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-People-Counter-with-Raspberry-Pi-an/

Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Marsh
Library Director
n.marsh at wfblibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

"There are many ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." ~Jacqueline Kennedy
“Leaders don’t force people to follow – they invite them on a journey.” ~ Charles Lauer