[Michlib-l] First Annual Mental Health & Happiness Fair - Pere Marquette District Library in Clare -

Sheila Bissonnette SBissonnette at cityofclare.org
Thu Oct 8 13:15:12 EDT 2015

With the recent tragic events happening in our world today, I feel it is important that we realize that many people we see each day have a private battle they are fighting.  It is more important than ever to realize that life is hard for many in our community.  But there are ways to reduce how stress impacts your life and the lives of those around you.    Please sharing this information with anyone you feel would benefit.

Thanks for sharing!

Sheila

Pere Marquette District Library – First Annual Mental Health & Happiness Fair – promoting a mentally healthy life style through education and information

For many people, life is a struggle.  They struggle to find ways to deal with the challenges life brings to their door.  Whether it is unemployment, divorce, death, relationship conflicts, illness or everyday financial difficulties, life can be overwhelming.  Living with overwhelming stress and anxiety affects every element of a person’s life.  It take a toll on health and family relationships.  But it doesn’t have to be this way.  There are many positive ways to handle stress and anxiety so life is not so overwhelming.

In keeping with International Mental Health Day (October 10th) the Pere Marquette District Library along with MidMichigan Health, Consumers Energy, Fachting Counseling service, Woodview Learning Strategists, William Glasser Institute - US, and Mental Health & Happiness (www.mentalhealthandhappiness.org)  we are  excited to present the first annual Mental Health and Happiness Fair -– promoting a mentally healthy life style through education and information.
Attached is our flyer for the event.  As part of the event we are offering two William Glasser Institute “Take Charge of Your Life” workshops.  “Take Charge of Your Life” is a six hour workshop and is based on the book written by Dr. William Glasser.  The goal of “Take Charge of Your Life” is to promote personal responsibility and mental health.
On Wednesday, Oct 21st, we will be offering free stress management technique demonstrations.  These demonstrations are FREE and open to the public.
12:30-1:30 – Deb Minnine will demonstrate Emotional Freedom Technique – Reduce Stree with EFT:  Are you tired of always feeling stressed?  Wanting to help yourself but not sure what to do?  Here is a tool that can offer you relief.  EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) known as "TAPPING" is a simple but powerful SELF-HELP TOOL that helps you reduce stress.  It is based on the ancient Chinese practice of acupuncture.  However, instead of using needles you "TAP" on specific acupressure points while focusing on stressful thoughts and/or emotions. It can be used on any issue from traumatic experiences to daily situations with job, over-whelm, fears, physical pain, food cravings, anger, etc.  It is a tool that can truly help you experience more BALANCE, HEALTH AND JOY.
1:30-2:30 – Judith Wells, Community Education Nurse with MidMichigan Health will be demonstrating how the practice of yoga is used to help relieve stress and anxiety.
2:30-3:30 - Brenna Chapman, Certified Music Therapist.  Clare Music Therapy  Music Therapy is a prescribed, structured use of music or music activities under the direction of a specially trained personnel to influence changes in maladaptive conditions or behavior patterns, helping clients achieve therapeutic goals.   Music breaks down language barriers and makes working toward goals less intimidating and more fun.  It can be a carrier of information, a method to reinforce skills, a base and structure for learning or a reflection of skills or processes to be learned.  It can be a vehicle for changing your state of mind or way of moving.  It is personalized and tailored to you, using your music choices and your abilities to work on your issues.   In short, Music Therapy uses music to achieve non-musical goals.
3:30-4:30 -  Katie Fall, MA, LPC Mindfulness of MidMichigan Learn how the practice of mindfulness and help management stress and chronic pain.  Gain tools to move toward difficulties rather than run away from them.  Using mindfulness you can gradually learn to improve your ability to focus and increase your overall stability.

Sheila M. Bissonnette, MLIS
Library Director
Pere Marquette District Library & Harrison District Library

Pere Marquette District Library                                                          Harrison District Library
185 E. 4th Street                                                                                          105 E. Main Street
Clare, MI 48617                                                                                          P.O. Box 380
www.pmdl.org<http://www.pmdl.org/>                                                                                          Harrison, MI 48625
                                                                                                                         www.harrisondistrictlibrary.org<applewebdata://A3DE025E-85A9-48C9-A8E3-C8FCFE2B2957/www.harrisondistrictlibrary.org%20>
Phone:  (989) 386-7576 ext 4                                                                Phone: (989) 539-6711
Fax:        (989) 386-3576                                                                           Fax:        (989) 539-6301
Cell:       (989) 878-0450

This organization is an equal opportunity employer
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online athttp://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request a form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send you completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or by fax (202) 690-7442 or email atprogram.intake at usda.gov<mailto:program.intake at usda.gov>