[Michlib-l] Librarian of Congress

Warren, Leslie A lwarren at nmu.edu
Fri Oct 2 13:31:17 EDT 2015

I am pleased to announce that the Michigan Library Association Board of Directors has voted to support American Library Association's position that the newly appointed Librarian of Congress be a librarian. It is essential that the next Librarian of Congress have experience as the leader of a major library serving the public and/or research community, have deep subject/technical expertise in librarianship and the management of digital assets, and an understanding of scholarly research and scholarly communication.

We are finalizing a formal letter of support that will be sent to President Obama and the American Library Association.

You can read more about the issue at http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2015/06/ala-urges-president-obama-select-librarian-head-library-congress.

Leslie A. Warren
President, Michigan Library Association