[Michlib-l] Summer Reading and Five Domains of Reading

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Wed Nov 18 11:22:05 EST 2015

With summer behind us and winter coming on, it is hard to think we can be planning for next year's Summer Reading program already. Something to keep in mind with Summer Reading as well as story time and lapsit programs are the Five Domains of Reading from the education community. These are Vocabulary, Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency and Comprehension. You can find a variety of materials online on these skills and ways to use them in your programming year round. Reading Rockets, a PBS and Dept. of Education site, has a great Reading  101: The Basics of Teaching Reading page that covers these five domains and more. That is at http://www.readingrockets.org/teaching/reading101. Take a look at these and the rest of the site for some background information on getting the most out of your programming time with children!

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
517-373-5700 f
reishk at michigan.gov<mailto:reishk at michigan.gov>

Customer Service is a priority at the Michigan Department of Education - helping Michigan schools, families, and communities improve the achievement and well-being of ALL our children.
[http://inside.michigan.gov/mde/docs/Docs%20and%20Templates/MDE%20-%20Color%20+%20Transparent.gif]