[Michlib-l] more Great Michigan Read programs

Maureen Derenzy mderenzy at otsego.org
Thu Nov 5 17:06:54 EST 2015

I wanted to follow up on Ceci Marlow's post with a recommendation for the
Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company from Grand Haven.  They performed at our
September 20th kickoff/book distribution event and people loved them - our
audience ranged from high school students to patrons in their 80s and we had
great comments from them all.  Even with additional travel costs for the
trip to northern Michigan, the total cost was under $450.  They introduced
the book and spoke briefly about the connections to Shakespeare's time, and
also read excerpts from the book between scenes.

We also scheduled a cooking program, but took ours outdoors.  For our
Campfire Cookery class we built a big fire pit behind the library and showed
participants how to cook a full meal (including dessert and coffee) on an
open campfire using various techniques.  Even though the temperatures dipped
into the 50s on the night of the program, we had a good turnout .  People
came bundled up and stayed beyond the end of the program to enjoy the warmth
of the fire.  Our instructor donated her time and equipment, staff donated
the firewood, and our total cost for food and travel was $103.00.  I think I
might do this again in the spring before camping season begins because we
had so much fun.

Paper collage artist Beth Bynum from Kingsley led a very successful "Read
and Create" art program for us.  I highly recommend her!

We wrapped up our Great Michigan Read on Monday night with a visit from the
author.  It has been a hectic six weeks, but worth all the effort put into
it.  I agree with Ceci.if you are still considering participation in the
Great Michigan Read, go for it.

Maureen

Maureen Derenzy, Library Director
Otsego County Library