[Michlib-l] Library Scholarship

Julie Grynwich nblibrary at comcast.net
Thu May 14 14:37:41 EDT 2015

Unfortunately, one of our board members passed away recently.  We received
donations in his name, and  the family would like to set up a scholarship
through the library, or our Friends, that would be available to two
graduating seniors (in our school district)  each spring.   To keep the
scholarship going the family would hold a fundraiser each year, such as a
softball tournament.  At this time the donations total almost $3000, so we
could begin this year, as the family has requested.  The family feels that a
separate bank account should be established, and future donations could be
deposited in this account.  The board member has 8 children, two of which,
are lawyers.  The man who is requesting this is a lawyer, and believes this
can be done legally, as long as donations are used.

I wonder if any other library does this, and if so, I would like to hear
about your experience.  Also, if there are any reasons why this is not a
good idea, I'd sure like to know that, soon!

Julie Grynwich, Director
New Buffalo Twp. Library

P. 269-469-2933