[Michlib-l] FOIA Policies

Margaret Bentley margaret.bentley at sdl.lib.mi.us
Fri May 8 09:34:57 EDT 2015

I received a few responses on my request for FOIA policies, and many
more requests to compile the information.  Most libraries are still
working on this issue.  Their responses are compiled below.  Only the
St. Charles District Library responded that they have a new written a
policy at this time.

Additional responses:

We are looking here at LM to see if we can provide a template or more instructions for district libraries since that group is left on its own to share or reinvent the wheel.

Spring Lake District Library is purchasing the packet of information prepared by Attorney Dick Butler which includes a board resolution and all the forms needed as well as procedures and guidelines.  The requirements to comply with the law are complex and the penalties for failure to comply are substantial so it’s worth it to us to get these documents prepared by our attorney.    If anyone wants to contact Dick to get more information his email is rbutler at bsmlawpc.com.

Have the three of you seen the information on Anne Seurynck’s  [ASeurynck at fosterswift.com  <mailto:ASeurynck at fosterswift.com>]
  package on this?  She’s put together a package of all the documents, policies, procedures, etc. you need plus a resolution for your Board to pass.  The package cost of $350 includes a telephone conference with her to answer questions and help you customize the documents for your circumstances if necessary.  You can reach her at the email above or through Foster Swift Collins & Smith PC, 1700 East Beltline, NE, Suite 200, Grand Rapids, MI 49525, Phone: 616.726.2240, Fax:517.367.7196.  She also has a free webinar at the Foster Swift website.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  Right now we are planning on contacting Anne Seurynck for her package.

--
Margaret Bentley
Adult Services Librarian