[Michlib-l] Chelsea District Library Announces Professional Exchange Program with South Africa

Sheryl Mase smase at mmll.org
Tue Mar 17 08:20:00 EDT 2015

Yay Bill Harmer, yay Chelsea District Library, yay Mausiphumelele Community Library!  Best of luck with the exchange ~ you make us proud ;-)

~Sheryl
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sheryl L. Mase, Interim Director
Mid-Michigan Library League
220 1/2 N. Mitchell, Cadillac MI 49601
231-775-3037 or 800-968-0046
email: smase at mmll.org
website: http://mmll.org
~visit us on facebook!~

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Michlib-l] Chelsea District Library Announces Professional Exchange Program with South Africa
From: "Bill Harmer" <bharmer at chelseadistrictlibrary.org>
Date: 3/16/15 10:29 pm
To: "michlib-l (michlib-l at lists.mcls.org)" <michlib-l at mail.mcls.org>

  Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to share a few words about an exciting new endeavor for the Chelsea District Library.

I had such a wonderful experience visiting Cape Town and the rest of South Africa during my visit there in April 2013 as part of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Peer Learning Meeting. One of the best experiences I had was visiting Sue Alexander and her wonderful library in Masiphumelele. I was moved by the many wonderful things that she and her staff members do for the community. It was during my visit to Cape Town and her library that I came up with the idea of a professional exchange program between our two libraries, which will take place from May 25 to June 20, 2015.

The exchange program will function as a professional training program for two qualified staff members (Emily Meloche from Chelsea, and Nosiviwe Lutuli from South Africa) to advance developmental goals for capacity building, acquiring knowledge, skill, professional contacts, and friendships to help our two libraries broaden their impact as the go-to resource for building a culture of enlightened, engaged, and empowered citizens.

Mausiphumelele Community Library is redefining how public institutions such as libraries can strengthen the foundations of community and civic engagement through volunteering, participating in civic and social organizations, participating in public dialogue and problem solving sessions, and working to make a difference in their community. Emily will meet with leading experts in her field across South Africa to gain new insights and approaches to create positive, sustainable change, which she will share with our community upon her return. Through careful study of this program, Emily will be able to strengthen her capacity to influence changes in new ways to our community.

We will accomplish these goals by exposing both Emily and Nosiviwe to new practices in their areas of expertise, providing targeted training opportunities, and providing the resources and skills necessary to make informed decisions and implement what they have learned. The program will also provide a unique opportunity for them to learn about life in the US and South Africa through their stays with host families throughout the four week program.

Working towards solutions to our challenges together, sharing knowledge, ideas, and experiences on a community level will help support sustainable progress and build stronger communities.

Exchange programs are important because library professionals need to be successful in a business world that is globally competitive. A professional exchange is an enriching experience on many levels. It affects both professional and personal development, inspires creative ideas, enhances relationships, and strengthens multicultural understanding. Community and staff alike will experience firsthand different approaches to librarianship, teaching styles, research, and education. Conducting research, working, or teaching in a different environment presents new and rewarding challenges. Interacting with new professionals offers a perspective on your identify as a librarian, teacher or administrator in a global community.

At the same time, Emily will serve as an ambassador for Chelsea, laying important foundations for future exchanges and collaborations. The community of Chelsea will also benefit further as we integrate new views and material into our service scope, promote study abroad, practice cross-cultural sensitivity in our daily interactions and lead the way in appreciating the diversity of people and cultures.

Please join me in congratulating Emily on her exciting new journey.

Sincerely,

Bill Harmer
Director
Chelsea District Library