[Michlib-l] Employee bonuses - results of query

aldenlib at torchlake.com aldenlib at torchlake.com
Mon Mar 16 14:06:02 EDT 2015

I was going to post an attachment but wasn't sure how to do it so it
would be available to the list, so here are the results to my request on
the listserv for info on how bonuses for staff members are determined at
other Michigan libraries, without the submitters' names (and in some
cases, shortened to pertinent data) :

Each full-time staff member received the same bonus amount. I think it
had something to do with the 20% pay for insurance FT staff pay into.
The part-time staff received a percentage of the full-time amount based
on the number of hours they worked.

1. …all part-time staff receive a $50 bonus annually and full-time get
$100, regardless of level of responsibility, position title, or number
of years worked. In addition, during the annual employee appreciation
dinner, longevity certificates for full-time employees are given out for
milestone years: 5-, 10-, 20-, and 30-years-of-service. Along with the
certificate recognizing service there are Chamber of Commerce
certificates (so not cash, but money that can be spent at almost any
business in the county). I haven't worked full-time long enough to know
if these increase with the service years, but at 5-years the recognition
was valued at $50.00.

2. My Board decided to enact a 'longevity bonus' system. It is separate
from regular wage increases and has four steps at five year increments.
The bonuses are for all employees...PT and FT.

$250/yr for years 5-9
 $500/year for years 10-14
 $750/yr for years 15-19
 $1,000/yr for years 20+
 The Board reserved the right to analyze this annually and determine if
funds were available. The bonus is paid with the payroll check that
encompasses the employee's anniversary. You could structure this any way
your Board would like. It was a nice appreciation when budgets were
pretty lean. We do have quite a few employees on the low end, several in
the middle two tiers and a couple at the top. I can't say this is the
reason for retention, but it helps.

_-I wonder what the pay ranges are for your employees, in order to
compare them with mine, for an estimate of a comparable bonus relative
to pay. Sue_

General starting wages are:
 Clerk - $10.59/hr (all PT) up to $15/hr
 Reference Librarian - $16.52 (PT) up to $20/hr
 Dept. Head - $21.63/hr (FT) up to $25/hr
 Director - $28.84/hr (FT) up to $32/hr

3. We receive very generous bonuses at Christmas. They are mostly based
on years of service and whether they are part time or full time.

4. …for what it is worth - when I worked for the State [Library of
Michigan], they had longevity pay based on hours worked - some sort of
formula. It did not kick in until you reached a threshold and then it
increased by intervals of additional hours worked.

5. We pay 0.50 for every hour you worked (not including holidays,
vacation or anything like that). I get $0.25 per hour my part timers are
at $0.50. If it makes any difference they and I have always gotten very
positive reviews. In Dorr the board won't authorize paying bonuses but
we have a credit card [Citi Bank Thank you Rewards card] that
accumilates points so everyone picked a gift card that they wanted and
that's what they got. Interest rates are [competitive], but we earn
points; the most popular choices here are: Cabela's, Home Depot, TJ Max,
Barnes and Noble, Victoria Secret and Kohl's but there also some great
restaurant ones as well. It also helps us thank our volunteers who also
got a gift card last year. We can get them in $25 denominations.

6. We issue longevity bonuses at the end of each year.

5-9 years $250

10-14 years $400

15 + years $500

This comes to about $2000 in bonuses each year.

We are a class 4 library and both full and part time employees are
eligible for the bonuses

Thank you to all who responded; it helped facilitate the discussion with
my board!

Susan Riegler, Director

Alden District Library