[Michlib-l] Visually Impaired Volunteer

Wambaugh, Stephanie (LARA) WambaughS at michigan.gov
Thu Jun 18 14:36:31 EDT 2015

Barbara, I know your question has already generated quite a response, but if you are still in need of suggestions please feel free to contact us directly at the Braille and Talking Book library. Depending on the technology skills of your volunteer, they would be able to do anything your sighted staff could do as far as phone and computer/reference work. Do your work stations have a screen reader program already? Jaws is a very common program, but there are also free applications such as NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) that can be downloaded. And of course, there are non-technology related duties that would be appropriate as well.

Have a great day!
Stephanie Wambaugh
Reader Advisor, Outreach & Youth Librarian
BSBP Braille & Talking Book Library
P.O. Box 30007
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48909-7507