[Michlib-l] FOIA from Smartprocure

Corey Seeman cseeman at umich.edu
Mon Jun 15 11:46:11 EDT 2015

There are some really useful FOIA requests - "just because" is not one of
them.

It seems that Smartprocure (http://smartprocure.us/understand-smartprocure/)
is trying to build a central database to help businesses - relying on FOIA
requests and then reselling the data to businesses.  It might be they are
reaching out to all public libraries in the state - just on a fishing
expedition.

This is the information on FOIA from the University of Michigan -
http://foia.vpcomm.umich.edu/  All requests have a more finite structure
and scope.  Everything over the last five years seems a bit much -
especially if it is someone outside the state (they are from Florida).
However, they might be working with a Michigan customer.

The Library of Michigan has a nice resource page for trustee info which
might be useful:
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-18668_69405_18689---,00.html

Michigan Library Association had a workshop on this in April.  Maybe people
who went can chime in.  Sounds like a good topic for future MLA sessions.

I have seen some expensive charges from governmental entities - sometimes
excessively high - for FOIA requests.  I do not encourage people to come up
with high fees - just what is covered to reasonably do the work.  I would
let them know what it will cost and what they are looking at.

And when they say...why are you charging so much - you can talk about the
effort involved in this work - or simply say.... we are charging this "just
because".

Best - Corey

Corey Seeman

Director, Kresge Library Services (http://www.bus.umich.edu/kresgelibrary/)