[Michlib-l] Libraries and Health Resources - How Public Libraries are Making the Connection

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Fri Jul 17 11:16:51 EDT 2015

If you are looking for ways to connect your community members with available health resources take a look at the item below from WebJunction about efforts from other libraries around the country.  http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/library-community-health-contributions-on-display-at-ala.html

Library Community Health Contributions on Display at ALA

Five libraries<http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/HHIL-community-engagement.html> from across the United States have collaborated with the Health Happens in Libraries<http://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/ehealth.html> team to develop and deliver community health activities. As a result of their vision and leadership, these libraries have established or deepened local partnerships to bring meaningful health services to their communities, through programs such as a local cooking competition and a multi-week health management series, among others.

WebJunction, along with our partners from ZeroDivide<http://www.zerodivide.org/>, recently had the opportunity to highlight the motivating work of each library through a poster session at the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference<http://alaac15.ala.org/> in San Francisco. We were thrilled to be joined by representatives from two of our participating libraries, St. Charles Parish Library<http://www.myscpl.org/>and Wilkes County Public Library<http://www.arlibrary.org/>. We will soon produce comprehensive case studies of all five library engagements for publication at WebJunction.org during the summer. In the meantime, we invite you to review and share the poster<http://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/Topics/hhil/health-happens-in-libraries-poster-75-by-35.pdf> itself for inspiration on activities and partnerships that can engage your community in health. Feel free to also access the complementary resources that accompanied our poster at ALA. These include a communications guide<http://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/2015-04/communications-guide.pdf> about the role of libraries in supporting community health, as well as learning pathways on how to develop health literacy<http://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/2015-04/developing-health-literacy-through-health-information-and-services.pdf>, support healthy communities<http://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/2015-01/supporting-healthy-communities-through-health-information-and-services.pdf>, and understand ethics and privacy<http://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/2015-02/understanding-ethics-and-privacy-in-health-information-and-services.pdf>while providing health information and services at your library.

If your library is supporting community health, or if you have questions or ideas about this topic, shoot us an email<mailto:morrisl at oclc.org?subject=Health%20Happens%20in%20Libraries> or share your ideas on Twitter using the hastag #libs4health!

sdw

Shannon D. White
Library of Michigan
702 West Kalamazoo, P.O. Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-9489; Fax: 517-373-5700
Toll free:  877-479-0021
whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:whites29 at michigan.gov>
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan