[Michlib-l] New Book Examines the Role of Superheroes in Pop Culture

Mark Edlitz markedlitz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:06:32 EDT 2015

Hi,

My name is Mark Edlitz and I'm a writer.  I've written about pop culture
for a number of publications including The Huffington Post and Los Angeles
Times Hero Complex.  I've also worked as a writer/producer for National
Geographic's *Brain Games.*

*How to Be a Superhero*, my book about superheroes and the actors who play
them, just launched.  David Mamet wrote the foreword.

I was wondering if you would consider ordering the book for your library.

My aunt (who works at a library) told me that many libraries are doing a
summer reading program based on "heroes."  She thought my book would be
relevant to all your patrons and that it fits all the inter-related themes
-- Every Hero Has a Story, Unmask! and Escape the Ordinary.  Even if you're
not doing this particular program I think the book might be of interest.

The pre-pub press for *How to Be a Superhero* has been excellent:

"This superpowered collection of more than 40 original in-depth interviews
explores the role of superheroes in pop culture.... In his impressive
debut, Edlitz interviews actors who have played parts in shaping modern
America's quintessential mythologies: the superhero universe....  [The
author's] lengthy introductions to each interview are packed with enough
background info and trivia to please even hard-core fanboys.... Edlitz's
insightful questions also explore weightier topics such as religion,
mythology, race, and the nature of heroism.... [An] all-out victory."

 -- Kirkus

"Edlitz probes to the heart of the matter with these performers, getting
their take on the philosophy of their particular superhero...With a full
slate of interviews, Edlitz charts the influence of the culture of the
times on the portrayals of superheroes, as well as the evolution of women’s
roles."
-- Foreword Reviews

"How to be a Superhero makes for great reading, Edlitz's questioning smart
and insightful. His subjects play along well, giving considered and equally
insightful answers. A cracking read full of great personalities and
personality."
-- Starburst Magazine

"As complete a source as one might hope to find."
-- ComicMix

How to Be a Superhero is available through Ingram and Amazon
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Superhero-Mark-Edlitz-ebook/dp/B00U2ZFE6I/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434681164&sr=1-2&keywords=how+to+be+a+superhero>
.

This is my first book and it's being published by an independent
publisher.  So, we could really use your support!

I can be reached via MarkEdlitz at gmail.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Mark