[Michlib-l] Library Marketing and Communications Conference

Heidi Nagel HNagel at kdl.org
Thu Jul 9 16:29:43 EDT 2015

Hello Michigan Libraries!

This is an exciting opportunity for those of us who are involved every day in promoting and advocating for our libraries, and who among us isn't!?  We will be making our big announcement about keynote speakers soon, so I'll follow-up with additional information next week!  Thank you for your consideration of this sure-to-be-fantastic conference!

Library Marketing and Communications Conference
Dallas, TX, Nov 3-4, 2015

Crowne Plaza Dallas Near Galleria-Addison
Organized by the Library Marketing and Communications Group
Sponsored by Amigos Library Services

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE

This conference is designed for library employees of any level who are involved in marketing, communication, public relations, social media, and outreach in academic, public, and special libraries. The sessions will explore issues that are important for this niche of library work, and the conference will include time for attendees to network and to discuss mutual challenges.

This new event is an outgrowth of four previous meetings. Kieserman Media began the Association of Library Communications and Outreach Professionals (ALCOP) and ran conferences of the same name near Philadelphia in 2011 and 2012. That group ran the same basic show, renamed the Library Communications Conference (LCC), near Philly in 2013 and in New Jersey in 2014. When its leader, Bob Kieserman, decided to stop organizing the conferences, a group of former attendees decided to reboot and relaunch them.

Those of us in the budding Library Marketing and Communications (LMC) group believe that library workers deserve a small event that's geared specifically toward the necessary work of marketing communication (MarCom), which includes public relations, social media, branding, and related topics. We feel that, if more library employees improved these skills, then all types of libraries would be in better positions to have their messages heard and to have their services well-used and appreciated.

The Program Committee of the Library Marketing and Communications Conference (LMCC) is interested in receiving proposals for presentations that apply the latest trends, best practices, and research in the field while providing practical tips that can be immediately applied to any library's communication and marketing program.

CALL FOR PRESENTATION PROPOSALS

Submission Deadline: July 15
Notification of Presentation Approval: August 10

Fill out Form here:  http://bitly.com/lmcc2015
For more information about the conference: http://www.amigos.org/lmcc

Although not limited to these areas, topics of interest include:

1.       Communication 101
2.       Using Social Media effectively
3.       Writing strategic marketing plans
4.       Promoting special collections
5.       User Experience and its impact on libraries
6.       Collaborating with other units or organizations
7.       Engaging the community
8.       Planning and promoting programming
9.       Creating surveys for patrons or non-users
10.   Branding
11.   Making promotional videos
12.   Designing graphics and infographics
13.   Working with the press
14.   Fundraising
15.   Crisis Communications

CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTANCE

Presentations will be evaluated according to the following:
Useful / practical learning objectives
Significance
Originality
Technical content
Clarity
Interactive elements

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Deadline: Fill out the form by 5:00 p.m. (EST) on July 15.

An e-mail confirming receipt of submission will be sent.

Please Note: Speakers will be responsible for registering for the conference and arranging their own travel and lodging. There will be a discounted block of rooms at the Crowne Plaza.

For any additional questions, send email with the subject line "LMC questions" to:

General Questions about Speaking:
Joan Barnes: jbarnes3 at unl.edu<mailto:jbarnes3 at unl.edu>
Community Engagement Librarian
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Questions about the Proposal Form:
Jodie Borgerding: jborgerding80 at webster.edu<mailto:jborgerding80 at webster.edu>
Instruction & Liaison Services Librarian
Webster University

Heidi Nagel
Manager of Communications & Programming
Kent District Library