[Michlib-l] E-Rate: Critical Information for those libraries who will fit the budget definitions for urban libraries

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu Jan 8 08:07:15 EST 2015

We learned from the SLD today that given the late announcement in the Second Modernization Order regarding the increased rate for those libraries that fall into the budget definitions for "urban" libraries ($5.00 per square foot rather than $2.30 per square foot for Category 2 services), they were unable to get the necessary form changes made to accommodate this change and still open the window next Wednesday, January 14.  They are, however, working on making those changes and expect to have form updates available 7-10 days after the window opens.

Applicants with libraries as recipients of service who may fall into this category have two choices:

  1.  They can wait until the updated form is made available before submitting their Forms 471 (FWIW, that would be our consultant at EdTech Strategies recommendation so that application processing proceeds more quickly and easily during PIA review), or
  2.  They can file their forms when the window opens and before the revised form is available in which case those libraries who would be eligible for the higher rate would be flagged during PIA review and the budget changes would be addressed with applicants at that point.

I think we probably all agree it was smart not to delay the opening of the window-especially since the window length is a little shorter than previous years and given the challenges we will all likely face in filing applications this year.