[Michlib-l] LibraryBiz Connect has been busy- here's an update

Library BizConnect librarybizconnect at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 15:41:57 EST 2015

*What is LibraryBiz Connect?*

A grassroots organization comprised of public and academic librarians
working together with business support non-profit organizations to:

   -           Position public libraries as the local portal for economic
   development
   -           Connect average businesses to knowledge, data, training and
   business counseling in an approachable environment
   -           Pool regional resources to benefit our local communities

 We are not a fee-based organization. We are a group that is committed to
supporting economic development and growth for stronger communities by
utilizing the tools and resources already available in most communities.

*Who are we?*

Current partners include:

Adrian Public Library

Ann Arbor District Library

Bizgrid Detroit

Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce

Brighton District Library

Canton Public Library

Chelsea Chamber of Commerce

Chelsea District Library

Cromaine District Library

Eastern Michigan University

Gast Business Library – Michigan State University

Genessee District Library Business Center

Hartland Area Chamber of Commerce

Howell Area Chamber of Commerce

Howell Carnegie District Library

Jackson District Library

Kresge Business Administration Library, University of Michigan Ross School
of Business

Library of Michigan/Michigan eLibrary (MeL)

Michigan Small Business Development Center (MI-SBDC)

MMLC (Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative)

Plymouth District Library

Schoolcraft College Business Development Center

SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)

TLN (The Library Network)

Traverse Area District Library

Washtenaw Community College – Bailey Library

Wayne State University Libraries

*How does the partnership work?*

At its most fundamental, the partnership is successful because of the
relationships we have built with each other. We acknowledge and appreciate
the strengths of our partners and help direct current and potential
business owners to the best organization to meet their needs.

Here is a brief (very simplified) example of how LibraryBiz Connect
partnerships benefit a community:

   - A community member comes to the library looking for information on how
   to start a business. The librarian directs their community member to the
   resources and asks if they would like to sign up for the “How to Start a
   Business” workshop being held at the library.
   - The community member attends a Small Business Development Center “How
   to Start a Business” workshop at their local library.
   - The community member then talks to a SCORE counselor who regularly
   holds counseling hours at the library.
   - While working on a business plan the SCORE counselor can direct the
   community member to a librarian for access to business databases and print
   resources.
   - The community member opens a storefront on Main St.

*What have we been doing?*

   -         Going to conferences and workshops around the state attended
   by small business owners and small business support organizations. Talking
   to non-librarians about the resources available at local libraries and the
   information professionals available to help find the correct information.
   -           Encouraging business owners to visit their local libraries
   for access to business resources
   -           Encouraging business support organizations to reach out and
   develop relationships with their local libraries. Help each other do what
   we do best, sharing our resources and network of contacts to help support
   business owners.
   -           Helping each other! Encouraging libraries to partner with
   each other and local business nonprofits.  It’s OK not to own everything
   and not to know everything.
   -           Providing partner and interested libraries and business
   support organizations with a monthly conference call. A platform for
   everyone to ask questions and share successes and challenges.

  For more information or to get involved visit our website or social media
sites:

Website: www.librarybizconnect.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/librarybizconnectMI?ref=hl
LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/LibraryBiz-Connect-4739891?home=&gid=4739891&trk=groups_guest_most_popular-h-logo

LibraryBizConnect
Making Data Powerful for Business

We are a grassroots organization made up of librarians and business service
organizations whose mission is to provide access to a network of business
information and support services for new and existing businesses.
www.librarybizconnect.org
<https://exchange.howelllibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.librarybizconnect.org>

[image: LibraryBizConnect] <http://www.librarybizconnect.org>
[image: LibraryBizConnect]