[Michlib-l] Results of Little Free Library discussion
jdholman at uproc.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 13 14:27:27 EST 2015
Thank you to everyone who gave their input on Little Free Libraries.
You've been very helpful.
Several people asked for the findings, so I thought it would be good to
share with the list serv. The majority of those who responded thought
highly of Little Free Libraries.
*Highlights of Michlib-l list serv regarding Little Free Libraries*
Useful web sites and articles:
- http://littlefreelibrary.org/ Official Little Free Library site
- http://www.tadl.org/littlefreelibrary Traverse Area District Library’s
Little Free Library
Ypsilanti District Library sets up Little Free Library next to bus stop, on
The low-tech appeal of Little Free Libraries
Take a book, leave a book at the Little Free Library (Harvey, MI)
- Positive addition to the community
- Does not detract from library services
- Popular when the brick-and-mortar library is closed
- Many LFL users become patrons
- Good advertising/marketing venue for brick-and-mortar library;
positive press coverage
- Cheaper than a bookmobile
- Some libraries have LFL on their premises
- Stock with extra donations or discarded materials
- Kits are expensive
- Homeowner association resistance
- Time and maintenance required
- Hard to keep stocked with children’s books
Who builds/maintains Little Free Libraries?
- Friends of the Library
- Boy Scouts
- Private parties
Negaunee Public Library
319 West Case Street
Negaunee, MI 49866
(906) 475-7700 ext. 18
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Michlib-l