[Michlib-l] Ripping software

Toby Q. Schuler TSchuler at kdl.org
Wed Dec 9 17:51:14 EST 2015

I think there are some questions about the original question (format and who owns the original disc).
There is music CD ripping and movie ripping.

Music CDs generally don't have DRM (Digital rights management), and ripping does not involve software that circumvents that.
I go through my own CD collection and rip music often with Windows Media Player (built-in software on PCs).

>From what I can gather, ripping DVDs involves software that tries to circumvent DRM, and that is when it gets illegal. One site puts it well:
".. the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful."

The original question was about the software. I believe that PCs do not come with DVD ripping software, and it would have a steep learning curve. Basically, I would guess that anyone who is capable of such copying (which is probably illegal) probably owns a computer.

Toby Schuler