[Michlib-l] Online Library Related Webinars for the Week of August 30

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Mon Aug 31 08:30:35 EDT 2015

Below you can find the upcoming free, live online training opportunities for library staff.  If you are looking for a little bit of continuing education for the week, be sure to take a look.

Tuesday, Sept. 1 (1-2 pm)

10 Actions to Maximize Your Reach Through Social Media (Idealware)

Have a social media presence, but worried you're not making the most of it? In this free course, we'll go over 10 actions you can take to maximize your organization's social media efforts.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://idealware.org/online-training

Tuesday, Sept. 1 (1-2 pm)

Nonprofit 911: Ask, Don't Guess: Donor Surveys In Action (Network for Good)

Donors give for their reasons, not yours. Donor surveys are the key to unlock donor's interests, make them feel connected to your cause, build the right appeals, grow your major gift pipeline and even optimize your current donor portfolio.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www1.networkforgood.org/for-nonprofits/webinars

Tuesday, Sept. 1 (2-3 pm)

The Scoop on Series Nonfiction: New Titles for Fall 2015 (Booklist)

A continuation of our popular series of webinars on series nonfiction for youth featuring presentations from three publishers in the field: Black Rabbit Books, Reference Point Press, and Scholastic Library Publishing. Moderated by Booklist Books for Youth Associate Editor Julia Smith.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.booklistonline.com/webinars

Wednesday, Sept. 2 (12-1 pm)

How to Brief Like a Pro (American Management Association)

Briefings, whether in the form of briefing notes/memoranda, longer briefing books, or oral briefings, are used to keep decision makers informed about the issues for which they are responsible. In government, briefings are the principle means of communication between government policy staff and senior officials.  The demands of effective governance require senior officials to constantly learn and retain information about a vast range of topics and issues, which change rapidly and continuously. The only way they can do this is to rely on concise, clear, reliable briefings. This webcast provides you with a practical overview of preparing briefings for professionals in government and advocacy organizations.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.amanet.org/news/events-calendar.aspx

Wednesday, Sept. 2 (1-2 pm)

How to Find Grants (4Good)

Organizations are always watching for grant opportunities, yet it is rare to meet someone who excels at foundation research. Even when foundation data is readily available, it can be a challenge to determine whether to apply, how much to request, what to ask for, who to talk to, and so on. During this webinar, a grant proposal writer who has conducted foundation research for 20 years will share his methods and tricks of the trade. The webinar will cover the fundamentals, but experienced researchers may also benefit from advanced tips and a process that makes research easier to delegate.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://4good.org/explore/latest/webinars

Wednesday, Sept. 2 (3-4 pm)

The Modern Library: Meeting Users On Their Own Terms (Library Journal)

>From beach bicycles re-designed as roving story-time spectaculars to late nights spent in university canteens, WCL staff are taking the best parts of the library to where their potential customers are. Learn more about how WCL is using imagination to reach key potential users in family, tourist, and student communities, and how staff is applying their experiences for new mobile services concepts. In the states, WPLS employs a bookmobile with a mobile hotspot, organizes special library card signup drives at local schools, builds book collections based on user input, and offers links to library materials that tie into school curricula at every grade level. Hear how WPLS has achieved great success by going out into the community to understand and address the needs of its user base.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/category/webcasts/

Wednesday, Sept. 2 (3-4 pm)

Promoting Creativity in Childhood - Moving from Why? to How? (Infopeople)

Looking for ways to incorporate creative learning into the programming at your library? Erica Fortescue, Associate Director of the Center for Childhood Creativity, will present the case for creativity and innovation as core skills for future success.  She will share highlights from the newest research on creative thinking from a variety of fields including neuroscience, psychology, sociology, and education. This webinar will also show how these techniques prepare young readers for the new Common Core standards.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar

Thursday, Sept. 3 (2-3 pm)

Court cases shaping the fair use landscape (American Library Association)

Join us on CopyTalk in September to hear about the leading legal cases affecting Fair Use and our ability to access, archive and foster our common culture. Our presenter on this topic will be Corynne McSherry, Legal Director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.districtdispatch.org/category/webinars/

Thursday, Sept. 3 (3-4 pm)

Arts Integration & Children's Books (Georgia Public Library Service)

Participants will explore using "story baskets" to tell and retell stories. A story basket is a collection of small materials that represent key story elements such as the character(s), setting, problem, and solution. For example, the storyteller could use a small stuffed animal for a character and a rock or leaf to represent the setting. Variations of the story basket strategy are limitless! Librarians can create story baskets, use them in conjunction with the selected read aloud, and then invite "young readers" to retell the story using the story basket's visual cues. Additionally, young readers could help create their own story baskets as an art activity. Advantages, such as oral language and listening skills development, will be discussed, and useful resources will be shared.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://georgialibraries.webex.com/georgialibraries/onstage/g.php?MTID=e1952080834f30a0bd5073612fb8b7637

Thursday, Sept. 3 (3-4 pm)

Increase your Organization's Members with Facebook Ads (Wild Apricot)

Have you considered using Facebook to increase your membership? If not, you should! Imagine advertising only to people who may already be interested in your organization. Now imagine paying only for that advertisement when those people click on it. That's the magic of Facebook Ads - they can be vital to your organization's growth. In this free, live workshop, we'll take you step by step through the process of how to create your own Facebook Ad.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.wildapricot.com/community/expert-webinar-series

sdw

Shannon D. White
Library of Michigan
702 West Kalamazoo, P.O. Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-9489; Fax: 517-373-5700
Toll free:  877-479-0021
whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:whites29 at michigan.gov>
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan