[Michlib-l] EPA Launches New Website to Track Safe Drinking Water Compliance

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Apr 16 10:20:08 EDT 2015

All,

Living where we do, safe drinking water is something we have become accustomed to taking for granted. But in recent years we have seen an increasing number of incidents whereby that water is in the news. Last summer the drinking water supply for extreme southern Monroe County was interrupted when its supplier, Toledo, determined that its Lake Erie water was contaminated by microcystin bacteria (blue-green algae). The city of Flint switched its water supplier from long-time purveyor Detroit, to its own source (the Flint River), which we read has been fraught with challenges. Etc.

In response to this increasing number of drinking water related news events and incidents, the EPA last week released the Safe Drinking Water Act dashboard, a website that tracks whether public water systems are complying with the laws that keep our water safe and clean.

Here is a link to the Safe Drinking Water Act Dashboard to share with your patrons: http://echo.epa.gov/trends/comparative-maps-dashboards/drinking-water-dashboard

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager