[Michlib-l] LGBT Magazines That Circ

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Mon Sep 29 10:29:49 EDT 2014

*Hello all!  Got a great response after the fact that may offer a good
perspective for those were looking:*

Hi, Cindy--

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to your question about LGBT magazines.
We used to subscribe to "Out" but even when we put it in a protective cover
it was stolen on a regular basis.  We didn't know if it was being taken by
someone who didn't want it in the library or if it was an individual who
didn't want to be seen checking it out.  We have kept current editions of
other vulnerable magazines at the reference desk, but we definitely didn't
want to single out people who were looking for "Out" but didn't feel
comfortable asking for it.  At any rate, we eventually decided it didn't
make sense to pay for a magazine that only one person was seeing.
Fortunately, we can offer it to our patrons through our Zinio subscription,
but I hope that someday our library will figure out a security system that
doesn't cause carpal tunnel issues for our Circ staff and helps preserve
our collection.  Then maybe we can offer titles like "Out" again.  We don't
have the same problem with "The Advocate."

Regards,

Maureen Maloney
Reference Librarian
Duluth Public Library
520 W. Superior St.
Duluth, MN  55802
(218) 730-4206
please note new e-mail address:
mmaloney at duluthmn.gov

For more information, please call 517-629-3993 or visit us at 501 S.
Superior Street in downtown Albion.  Albion District Library: Transforming
Minds, Changing Lives.  Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on
Facebook!

Cynthia Stanczak
Interim Co-Director