[Michlib-l] Summary of Feedback about Activity Kits To Go

Crystal Jolly cjolly at lincolnlib.org
Tue Sep 23 17:47:49 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I truly appreciate the feedback from everyone who contacted me about creating activity kits for my library. All of the information shared with me has been helpful and will continue to be as I move forward with this project.  Below is a summary of the wonderful things shared with me from other libraries. I hope this information benefits others working on creating kits as well.

Dewitt District Library

They recently launched “Discovery Packs.” Ten themes available, but hope to eventually increase it to 30.  Each kit includes 4 books (picture book & non-fiction), a DVD or CD, a manipulative/educational toy and a laminated, double sided page of extension activities.  They check out for 7 days.  The items are all housed in a clear, plastic backpack.  Each item in the pack is labelled with our library information as well as the pack theme and number.  There is a laminated luggage tag on the zipper of the bag that also contains the theme and number on one side and the barcode on the opposite.  There is also a laminated card on the front that lists the specific contents of the pack.  This isn't me or our packs, but ours look almost identical (just to give you a visual). These kits are available to day cares, homeschoolers, and families.

Delta Township District Library

They had kits for teens several years ago.  Each kit had some items patrons could keep, some links to websites, and book suggestions.  Taped to the lid were instructions for staff and the patron about what needed to be returned.

Kits offered included:

  1.  Journaling Kit—This kit will help you start your own journal.  The kit includes a notebook for you to keep, supplies for you to use, and the book Totally Private & Personal to help get you started.
  2.  Babysitting Kit—First Aid handbook and supplies, children’s books, snacks, craft & activity ideas
  3.  Starting Work/Careers—Resume help, interview tips, internet resources
  4.  Going to College/Financial Aid—College planning, financial aid resources, dorm room & roommate tips, and a copy of The Real Freshman Handbook
  5.  Feeling Crafty—Craft books & suggestions, party ideas (starting your own Knit-TEEN groups)

Otsego County Library

This library has 24 story boxes that sound like a similar concept.  Each one has a different theme.  They have 8-10 paperback books, some few-piece puzzles, activity cards (like matching or letters/numbers) and perhaps a few toys, all per the theme of the box.  The boxes check out one per family for 3 weeks at a time.  Patrons are responsible for the contents, although there are things like a "bag of little dinosaurs" and if one is lost, the library replaces them as needed.  Big items like Melissa & Dave puzzles the patrons pay for the whole replacement puzzle (and keep the one with a missing piece).  Puzzles can sometimes make noise, but have no more than 12 wooden pieces.

Hints:

***use paperback books... they are easier/cheaper to replace: tape spine before using

***buy ALL the boxes/bags you need at the same time so they all look alike/stack together...you'll never find the same kind again!!  Make sure the books fit inside the boxes.

***have heavy duty plastic things/toys, not stuffed toys that don't wash well

***put items in a freezer Ziploc bag reinforced with tape along the edges and labeled

***label stuff inside with library name; put "contents" label on lid so people know what goes inside

***put a "small parts" disclaimer on top to "cover your legal backside"

***have theme list available at desk or in "catalog"

***do not have wipe-off kinds of cards.  The library has to do all the wiping off when things come back.

 **for cub scout badges you may want to allow parents to check out "teacher" kits, as they could use the same items that teachers would use.  Also, make sure teachers know they would have to replace things that "go missing" if used in their classrooms.

Crystal Jolly
Children's Librarian
Lincoln Township Public Library
2099 W. John Beers Rd.