[Michlib-l] Minecraft...

Craig Buno CBuno at kdl.org
Wed Sep 17 19:26:54 EDT 2014

At Kent District Library we have 20 Minecraft licenses that we let the public use if they do not have their own.  When we have an event the hosting library will usually have 10-20 computers for patrons to use, so it is really important that people register for events, especially if they need to use a laptop and or a license.  It is also important for them to register so we know how many tables and chairs to set up and I would often try to make a large square so people could all interact this also help to keep all the cables and cords in the middle to prevent tripping hazards.  It is helpful to have everyone say their first name and username so they get to know each other a bit.

We have an in house server that we only turn on during hosted events and it just runs basic vanilla minecraft, I would usually upload a new map for each program so it was something different.  At first I tried to have objectives and projects to work on as a team.  However it seems like most of the attendees just wanted to be able to run around with a few other people and work on something or play a game as a small group.  I also observed that many people would leave the library server to go play on one of their favorite servers with whoever they were sitting next to.  We would get a lot of late elementary to middle school attendees.

Here are some other tips I have learned along the way, setup and log in all the computers to Minecraft prior to the event, if they are laptops make sure they are plugged in so they will not die in the middle of the event.  It is good to have at least two people to help run the event and for set up, teen volunteers are great because they often know the game and can help answer questions you might not know.  If you require registration have one person to check people in and tell them what computer to go to otherwise it can become chaotic quickly, it is helpful to have a large room where you can station someone at the door and control who enters.  If you do let people bring their own computer be prepared to help people update their Minecraft version or troubleshoot your wireless connection.

It is pretty popular with anywhere from 20 to 52 people attending our monthly minecraft club.

Craig M. Buno
Branch Manager
Sand Lake Branch
Kent District Library