[Michlib-l] wifi summary

Jennifer Walters aitkinlibrary at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 11 14:39:56 EDT 2014

Thank you to the tons of responses to my question about 24 hour access to
wifi.  The majority offer 24 hour access, pointing out how much their
patrons love this service and how much it is needed.  Some offer it only an
hour or two after closing.  And about a quarter of the responses offer it
only during library hours.  Some stated they had had problems and that is
why they limit it.  Many stated it is a police problem and not a library
problem.  One stated that as we would not allow this type of behavior inside
the library, we shouldn't allow it outside, and blame it on the teens when
we turn off the wifi.  A suggestion was to turn it off for a month to stop
the loitering, and then turn it back on, but I don't think it would take
long for them to hear it was back on again.  Another suggestion was to cut
back on the strength of the signal.  Thanks again for all the responses.  It
will give my board a lot to think about.

Jennifer Walters
Library Director
Aitkin Memorial District Library
111 N. Howard Ave.