[Michlib-l] FW: Benchmark for Bandwidth?

Knox,Sheryl Cormicle knoxs at cadl.org
Wed Nov 26 13:30:48 EST 2014

Thank you to Garret and to Eric Frederick of Connect Michigan (see below) for replies to my question.

Eric referenced the Digital Edge initiative benchmark. Looks like that target is "Each public Internet user is allocated at least 500 Kbps upload and 1 Mbps download of network bandwidth capacity".

Just dealing with the download speed aspect, meeting that benchmark with a 1Gbps Internet connection, would mean you could have 1,000 simultaneous Internet users. That seems a little crazy.

So let's move the benchmark up to 5 Mbps of download bandwidth per user (NetFlix recommends this<https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306> for streaming HD quality video). A 1Gbps Internet connection would serve 200 users simultaneously maxing out their bandwidth allotment.

If you are still reading this, I understand the idea of aspiring to bandwidth at levels where you don't even have to consider it as a realistic limiting factor in doing anything. But in a practical 'bang for the buck' world, I'm still looking for a way to calculate what I should buy at the top end to provide a high quality service when you get down to the desktop level. The fact is, you can do simple calculations assuming peak number of users at peak capacity, but in reality, use is very spiky.

Does the following approach make sense--Decide on a level of capacity you'd like to provide at the desktop level, say 5 Mbps. Pare that down to a lower 'average' level that accounts for the reality that not all of your simultaneous users are streaming NetFlix at HD levels (what is that magic factor?) Multiply that modified average Mbps by your maximum number of simultaneous users (patron computers + wifi users + staff users)

Enough for now. I need to prepare my turkey...

-Sheryl