[Michlib-l] Benchmark for Bandwidth?

Garrett Hungerford ghungerford at ssldl.info
Fri Nov 21 13:50:44 EST 2014

Sheryl,

The FCC provides a nice summary of the E-Rate Modernization Order (
http://www.fcc.gov/page/summary-e-rate-modernization-order).  In it they
reference library benchmarks:

With respect to libraries, the Order adopts as a bandwidth target the
> American Library Association's recommendation that all libraries that serve
> fewer than 50,000 people have broadband speeds of at least 100 Mbps and all
> libraries that serve 50,000 people or more have broadband speeds of at
> least 1 Gbps.

Salem-South Lyon, serving less than 50,000, is looking to surpass the 100
Mbps benchmark and will be going to 150 Mbps July.  Our performance goal is
to be able to provide the fastest Wi-Fi Internet speeds in the community.
We went to local restaurants / coffee shops to see what patrons were
receiving at other locations and what they would expect to see at the
library.  In addition, we try to be attentive to when consumption is
consistently topping out our bandwidth cap and adjust accordingly.

Garrett Hungerford, Assistant Director / Network Administrator

Salem-South Lyon District Library
9800 Pontiac Trail
South Lyon, MI 48178
Phone: (248) 437-6431 - ext. 208