[Michlib-l] Michigan Activity Pass: Potentially BIG News Coming In 2015

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Nov 21 09:07:21 EST 2014

All,

As of today, three days shy of six months into MAP Statewide Year 2 (this year's MAP half-birthday is November 24, for those who are keeping track) you have now circulated 90% of the TOTAL number of MAP passes that were reserved in the FULL 12 MONTHS of MAP Statewide Year 1. Great work! Although some of our participating MAP partner venues have closed for the season, there are still plenty of family friendly opportunities available in MAPland. What better way for your patrons to keep their kids and grandkids engaged during the upcoming school holiday closure times, than to take them to one of our MAP destinations? You can keep up to date with MAP by checking our Facebook page, where Brigette posts daily updates regarding our cultural partners to https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Activity-Pass-MAP/510259192344845 And while you're there, be sure to "like" our MAP FB page. Nearly 300 of you (and your patrons) have done so.

The Michigan Activity Pass (formerly Museum Adventure Pass) program has in its seven years of life grown from somewhat humble origins of 30 museum partners featured in public libraries in six counties (Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw, Wayne) and a full semi-trailer load (22 pallets of boxes stacked five feet high) of paper passes and promotional materials to a no longer humble, robust, incessantly and excessively and over promoted, online, statewide program featuring 112 partner venues (not just museums, either; as a for instance, here's a MAP venue that makes for a dandy wintertime walking venue http://hiddenlakegardens.msu.edu/), nearly 400 libraries in 639 participating library buildings covering each of Michigan's 83 counties, and a wide variety of promotional material that you can print on demand from http://tln.lib.mi.us/map/

We've already announced that there WILL be a MAP Year 3, beginning May 24, 2015 and running through May 23, 2016. But our over the top approach when it comes to MAP might have left you thinking, what are they going to do for an encore? Here is what TLN Executive Director Jim Pletz had to say regarding that topic:

"TLN staff initiated several conversations with potential venues and funding sources to explore the viability of an expansion of the MAP statewide service. Thanks to a relentless, often folk centric approach to promotion, efforts to grow the MAP program and brand recognition by TLN staffers Jim Flury and Brigette Felix have gained momentum. These TLN staff efforts are likely to produce a new way of service, venues and funding if the current dialogue bears fruit in the next few months. Be prepared to welcome a new and vastly expanded MAP in 2015."

We are still working out the bits and pieces that need to fall together in order for the above to occur. I am confident that we will do so, and that we will be able to unveil "a new and vastly expanded MAP in 2015."

Thank you for your support and promotion of the Michigan Activity Pass, and here's to a (hopefully) new and vastly expanded MAP program beginning in May, 2015.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network