[Michlib-l] Lexile level and reading counts

Amelia Nolan anolan at sjcity.com
Thu Nov 13 16:09:56 EST 2014

Help! Has anyone else discovered an easy way to help parents with this conundrum of lexile level books that also have reading count quizzes?
Today I had a mom come in who had a sixth grade son who was at a high reading level (lexile 1130-1300) and she was looking for books.  I had a really hard time finding titles for her that were still housed in the children's section.
I pulled a bunch of novels that I consider higher reading level and then looked them up on the lexile website and many weren't even listed. The ones I did find (they were all nf), the mom would have to turn around and  see if these particular titles had quizzes available.

Has anyone figured out a more streamlined way of doing this or do you depend on the school librarian/teacher to pass out lists of titles and levels that have quizzes?

Thanks for any advice!

Amy Nolan

Children's Librarian

St. Joseph Public Library