[Michlib-l] Comics Legend Art Spiegelman to visit Ypsilanti

Gillian Ream Gainsley ggainsley at ypsilibrary.org
Tue Mar 18 13:02:05 EDT 2014

PRESS RELEASE
Comics Legend Art Spiegelman to visit Ypsilanti
Fans of comics, art, and graphic literature should mark their calendars this spring for Art Spiegelman's multimedia presentation, "What the %@$*! Happened to Comics," presented by the Ypsilanti District Library. The event takes place Thursday, April 10 at Pease Auditorium and is expected to draw crowds from throughout southeast Michigan.

As one of the most influential comics artists of our time, Art Spiegelman has taken comics off of the toy shelves and given them a prominent and growing place in literature. His seminal work, Maus, tells the story of his father's experiences as a holocaust survivor, depicting the Jews as mice and the Nazis as cats. Spiegelman has also worked extensively as an illustrator, created dozens of covers for The New Yorker, founded RAW magazine, and published several books including In the Shadow of No Towers, his reaction to the events of September 11.

His multimedia talk will focus on the history of comics and how they influence society. He calls comics "the battlefield that great issues are battled on," and his insightful artwork and ability to discuss serious issues in graphic form have made him a legend in the worlds of both comics and literature. Spiegelman sign books after the presentation, and his books will be available for purchase courtesy of Nicola's Books in Ann Arbor.

"Art Spiegelman's work appeals to so many people-comics fans, historians, kids who read Maus in school, and really anyone who loves art and literature. We are very proud to be able to bring him here" said Lori Coryell, Assistant Director of the Ypsilanti District Library. "Spiegelman himself says that 'comics are a gateway drug to literacy,' and we've seen that to be the case over and over again."

This event is sponsored by Eastern Michigan University's Halle Library and the Friends of the Ypsilanti District Library. YDL works with the Friends and other community organizations to bring a major author to Ypsilanti each year. Mr. Spiegelman's visit also coincides with the library's spring theme: "Our Lives, Our Stories: The Greatest Generation." The spring season will feature a national traveling exhibit focused on the personal stories of members of the WWII generation, of which Maus is a poignant example.

                                                                        # # #

Art Spiegelman's "What the %@$*! Happened to Comics" will take place Thursday, April 10 at 7:00 pm at Pease Auditoruim on EMU Campus. Tickets are $20 for adults or $10 for students, and a limited number of VIP tickets that include a reception with Mr. Spiegelman that evening at 6 pm are available for $50. Tickets go on sale January 24 at EMUTix.com or 734-487-2282.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Gillian Ream Gainsley
Communications Coordinator
Ypsilanti District Library