[Michlib-l] Chelsea District Library Welcomes Three Children's Authors

Patty Roberts proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org
Thu Mar 6 12:48:23 EST 2014

The Chelsea District Library will hold its 5th annual *Authors in
Chelsea*event on Wednesday, March 26
th and Thursday, March 27th.  This two day event brings three nationally
known authors to present workshops on writing in Chelsea schools. The
Chelsea District Library is also holding a special evening event on March 26
th, 6:30-8:00pm with all three authors.  Families and the general public
are invited to meet the authors in the library and get books signed.  Books
will be available for purchase in the library lobby, courtesy of Chelsea's
Just Imagine bookstore.

This year's line-up includes Michigan author *Sue Stauffacher*, author of
the *Animal Rescue Team* books, a series for young readers full of animals,
friends, mystery, and adventure;

*David Lubar*, author of more than 25 books, including his
*Weenies*series, which are humorous horror short story collections,
and are known
and loved by elementary school students nationwide; and *Jennifer L. Holm*,
a *New York Times* bestselling children's author and the recipient of
three *Newbery
Honor* awards for her novels *Our Only May Amelia, Penny from Heaven*,
and *Turtle
in* *Paradise.*

*Authors in Chelsea* brings nationally known authors and illustrators to
Chelsea schools, providing children close contact with award-winning
authors and illustrators to explore the art and craft of writing and
illustrating, and encouraging students to read and appreciate literature.

Karen Persello, Head of Youth and Teen Services says, "Thanks to the
generous support of the *Worthington Family Foundation*, more Chelsea
students than ever will be taking part in the school workshops this year,
which will reach more than 850 students in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and
6thgrades." The *Friends
of the Chelsea District Library* and the *Chelsea Education
Foundation*also support *Authors
in Chelsea* by funding authors' fees and the purchase of hundreds of books
for participating school classrooms and libraries.

"We greatly appreciate partnering with the Chelsea District Library to
bring an acclaimed author and [her] works to our students," says Nick
Angel, principal of Beach Middle School, where all 6th graders are
reading *Turtle
in Paradise,* by Jennifer L. Holm.

South Meadows Elementary School Principal, Stacie Battaglia states, "*South
Meadows is thrilled to be welcoming author David Lubar to our building for
two days in March as part of our "March is Reading Month" activities. We
feel especially lucky this year as we are expanding the yearly author visit
to two days and two grades! We anticipate that this experience will be both
memorable and educational for our students and we thank the Chelsea
District Library for their efforts in arranging such a great experience for
our kids."*

For further information about the Authors in Chelsea event, please visit
the website aic.chelseadistrictlibrary.org
Patty Roberts | Marketing Coordinator
Chelsea District Library | 221 S. Main St. Chelsea, MI 48118
734.475.8732 ext. 216 | proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org